Sunday, October 2, 2011

25 Albums. #03: Dear You by Jawbreaker

Today's standard punk rocker loves Jawbreaker. They're held in such high esteem that you're more likely to be considered a poser if you don't like Blake Schwarzenbach. Punks love them so much that most are willing to overlook that Dear You was released on a major label. Okay, so some people don't like Dear You, but that's usually because of the stylistic shift as opposed to the label shift.

I bought Dear You on a whim one day in high school. I was waiting for my then-girlfriend to finish her last class of the day and I was browsing the nearby Best Buy for a gift for her (probably for an anniversary or her birthday or something, I don't really remember). I knew she liked the Offspring but didn't have anything by them, so I got her a copy of Smash and on my way to the register I saw Dear You on a shelf. Not knowing anything about Jawbreaker other than their name, I picked it up and decided to check it out.

I'm not going to say that it completely changed my life nor will I say that it made me become a better person but it didn't leave my CD player for months, so that has to count for something. I was at the end of my high school years, I had become distant from my group of friends, my new friends all still had a year or two left of high school, things with the lady didn't work out... I had a lot to be angsty about. And listening to this album made it all seem a little less difficult to deal with. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way about Dear You (although I'm sure some people are wondering why I didn't start with Bivouac or 24 Hour Revenge Therapy and to that I say: that copy of Dear You that I bought was the only Jawbreaker album they had).

No comments:

Post a Comment