Saturday, October 1, 2011

25 Albums. #04: My Brain Hurts by Screeching Weasel

I wrote about this album a few months back when it appeared as my number 1 pop punk album of all time (that list can be read here). Looking back on it, I feel that what I wrote about it on that list still holds true to this day, just as it has for the past however many years it's been since I first started listening to Screeching Weasel. This album is what really sparked my interest in learning more about the entire pop punk scene (whereas before I was content with just the radio charting acts).

Screeching Weasel has had more of a direct influence on modern pop punk than people give them credit for. Seriously. Go listen to this album and then listen to the first 3 blink-182 albums. If you say that you don't hear even the slightest bit of Weasel in any of those songs, then I know you're either lying or not actually listening. Anywho, blink-182 has, in turn, been a huge influence (for better or worse) on a million and one pop punk bands. Ergo, Screeching Weasel has helped shape modern music more than some people like to pretend.

Oh yeah, and check this out:

"Stolen" is such a strong word. Especially when in this case 
I think "homage" is more appropriate. 

Anyway, regardless of what the band members themselves are currently doing, I still love this album. Kind of like how some kids still like that first Skrewdriver album because it's from before that whole "racist skinhead" thing kicked in, only to a less extreme in my case. 

No comments:

Post a Comment