Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Talkin' 'bout My Generation: Take the Day

In case you've forgotten (or you're new to the blog), Talkin' 'bout My Generation is a series where I take a new(ish) band that I have discovered and do my best to plug them to the masses. Whereas I metaphorically shot my load way too early with my other semi-regular series, The Elite of Just Alright, I have decided to only stick with putting up a new TBMG maybe twice a month. (Which is a faulty system because I could theoretically discover ten new bands in a month and want to cover them all, but I digress). Now, on to the feature!

I've mentioned this before, but when it comes to pop punk, I'm an early 90's Lookout! style kind of guy. Nothing against the pop punk bands who take a more of an alternative rock approach- it's just not really my flavor. So when I do find myself enjoying a pop punk band that doesn't fall into my usual mold of pop punk, it always kind of catches me off guard.

Take the Day is one such band.

To be completely honest, I had only heard of the band because they began to follow me on Tumblr. So I checked them out and found them to be quite pleasant. They had a homemade music video of them trying to save a small mouse from the cold snow while one of their songs played in the background. I think it was this adorable act that won me over. Or their acoustic cover of blink-182's I Won't Be Home for Christmas. Or maybe, just maybe, it's because they they can write a catchy hook that can get stuck in your head.

As of right now, the band has a 3-song studio EP, City Lights & Summer Nights (Part One), an acoustic single, Lydia, and a "Holiday EP" with three cover songs and an original. Musically the band sounds a lot like a culmination of the bands that they cover on the latter EP (We Shot the Moon, blink-182, and even NeverShoutNever's prettier tunes) while also sounding like other bands in the modern pop punk/emo scene (to be completely fair to the band, they refer to themselves as "Pop/Rock/Roll" on their Facebook page and they may very well be specifically avoiding the terms "pop punk" and "emo") particularly The Starting Line and Valencia.

If there's anything that I don't like about these guys, it's their usage of vocal modifiers on some tracks. It's not like they obnoxiously autotuned half their songs like some bands do, but when they've got the song writing chops to come up with a catchy headbanger like Won't Wait, I don't think they need to rely on fancy studio tricks.

In comparison to a lot of the other bands that I've covered in this blog, Take the Day seem much less "punk" and perhaps slightly out of place. But I don't think that's such a big deal. Punk or not, Take the Day has that ability to produce music that makes you want to sit on a front porch on a nice July night while drinking a nice glass of Arnold Palmer and listening to the mosquitoes that are flying into the bug zapper. I'm not sure if that's the kind of imagery that Take the Day was aiming to conjure up, but I sure hope so because they accomplish it with ease.

Things to note:
-Is it just me, or do the verses to As Am I, Isaac Asimov sound like Avril Lavigne's Complicated? Not a bad thing, just asking if anyone else hears it.
-Lydia has this really nice... almost soul-like feel to it. It's nice.
-I really think that they kind of sound like Valencia a lot. Not in a bad way- I kind of like Valencia, too. I just keep hearing it when I listen to their EP tracks. 
-You can find the band in the following ways: Tumblr, Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube.

Also, here's that video of them saving the mouse from the cold:

No comments:

Post a Comment